Thursday 7 April 2011

The secret to email management

After listening to that podcast I tried to manage my email more effectively, and as it turns out, things just got worse.  Mind you, I wasn't checking email every 5-10 minutes for 1 minute because I was trying not to, it had more to do with being the end of term and having a whole bunch of panicked students trying to submit their final reports electronically, but nevertheless, I was looking at my taskbar's Outlook icon almost every other minute, waiting for some new emergency to pop up so I wouldn't have to think about working...

Today, I had a lot of work to get done, and so I just decided to close Outlook completely, and focus on the task at hand.  And you know, it's amazing how much more I've gotten done without that little bell and icon popping up every time I get a new message. 

The moral here is, if you want to reduce email checking but don't have the discipline to avoid looking every time the icon thingy says you have one, just close the program down.

No comments:

Post a Comment